Tax season 2016 for individuals
1 July 2016 is the start of the 2016 Tax Season for Individuals.
Tax Season runs from July to November every year. For provisional taxpayers who submit via eFiling, it runs until January of the following year.
Important due dates
- 25 November 2016 - At a SARS branch (non-provisional)
- 25 November 2016 - eFiling (non-provisional)
- 31 January 2017 - Provisional taxpayers via eFiling
Documentation required to complete your return
- IRP5/IT3(a) Employees Tax Certificate (if applicable)
- Certificates received for local interest income, foreign interest income and foreign dividend income
- If you are married in community of property, the certificates received by both you (the taxpayer) and your spouse are required
- If you married out of community of property, only the certificates that you receive are required.
- Documents relating to medical expenditure such as:
- The income tax certificate from your medical scheme received for the period 1 March 2015 and ending 29 February 2016
- Proof of qualifying medical expenses paid by you and not recovered from a medical scheme
- Completed ITR-DD Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability form (if you want to claim disability related expenses).
- The income tax certificate(s) received from the financial institution to which contributions for retirement annuities were made.
- Information relating to capital gain transactions (local and foreign)
- If you received a travel allowance or a fringe benefit for an employer provided vehicle, you must have a logbook to claim the business travel deductions.
- Documents and receipts for commission related expenditure including a logbook to claim business travel deductions
- Information regarding your rental property - income and expenses
- Financial statements for trading and farming activities (if applicable)
- Any other documents relating to income that must be declared or deductions that may be claimed.